High school musicians win awards
Seven of the numerous local high school students that took part in the Civic Music Association's competition weekend on Jan. 22-23 earned spots in the prestigious CMA High School Showcase that helped close out the musical event at the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music on Milwaukee's East Side on Sunday.
The students -- each of whom got a $250 award -- are:
- Clarinetist Philip Berger, of Milwaukee, a junior at Wisconsin Lutheran High School
- Tenor Ryan Castelaz, of New Berlin, a senior at Pius XI High School
- Mezzo-soprano Deme Hellwig, of Shorewood, a junior at Shorewood High School
- Soprano Katie Koester, of Shorewood, a junior at Shorewood High School
- Pianist Cynthia McDermid, of Muskego, a senior at Muskego High School
- Soprano Chantal Tribble, of Brookfield, a junior at Milwaukee High School of the Arts
- Violinist Valerie Sanders, of Greenfield, a senior at Divine Savior Holy Angels High School
A number of scholarships were also announced on Sunday.
Pianist Miles Plant, of Brookfield, a senior at Brookfield Central High School, got a $1,000 John David Anello, Sr. & Albert A. Silverman Memorial Scholarship. The award, presented in collaboration with the Milwaukee UNICO chapter, offers scholarships to Wisconsin music students ages 14-22 of Italian heritage.
Violinist Valerie Sanders received a $1,000 Young Artist Scholarship, while mezzo-soprano Deme Hellwig and soprano Katie Koester each received $500 Young Artist Scholarships. The awards go to winners selected for the High School Showcase.
Cellist Hailee Boston, a senior at Milwaukee High School of the Arts, received a $500 Donald & Idabelle Mohr Scholarship, which is available only to graduating Milwaukee Public School seniors.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.