Are you (still) old school? 100 more Milwaukee memories
Note: The contents of this guide were checked for accuracy when this article was updated on March 19, 2001 at 4:12 a.m. We continually update the thousands of articles on OnMilwaukee.com, but it's possible some details, specials and offers may have changed. As always, we recommend you call first if you have specific questions for the businesses mentioned in the guide.
A real Milwaukeean never forgets.
As our city continues to grow and emerge, the memories of the past are always with us. Our first list of "100 Milwaukee Memories" has been a huge hit. And thanks to our crack staff and many of your submissions, OnMilwaukee.com is proud to present part two, "100 More Milwaukee Memories." Please enjoy!
- The Milwaukee Does Female Basketball Team
- The Marquette Warriors
- Barnaby's pizza
- Roller skating at Pius grade school on 76th St.
- When you could throw peanut shells on the ground at The Ground Round
- Hot 102
- Barney Pip
- Bud Lea
- The Red Baron arcade at Mayfair
- Bubba the Love Sponge
- Carl Zimmerman
- Dialing for Dollars
- Double features at The Grand Theater
- Dan Patrick on Lazer 103
- Mike Hegan
- The smell of Ambrosia chocolate downtown
- The C-Club
- Tequila Willy's
- Bogie's and Club Marilyn
- The Cabbage Patch Kid drop at County Stadium
- When Al's burnt down on Happy Days
- "Who do you know wants to buy a car?"
- Wauwatosa Realty
- Chuck Salituro
- Alex Thien
- Allis Chalmers
- Art Muscle Magazine
- "From the shores of Michigan I can watch her grow again, see her touch the sky ... touch the sky. Where the rivers flow to, where the sunset goes to, we're all good neighbors passing by. Makes no difference where I go, you're the best hometown I know. Hello Milwaukee, Hello Milwaukee, Channel 12 loves you."
- Moon Fun Shop
- The old Toy's Restaurant
- Uncle Hugo
- Mac the Mailman
- Schuster's Christmas Parade
- Kookie Cookie House
- Lionel Aldridge
- Jack Baker
- Merl Duesing Safari
- "Meet me at the Fountain at Summerfest"
- Arlan's Department Stores
- Rams Head Bar
- Ben Franklin
- Atlantic Mills Stores
- Billie the Brownie
- The filming of "Major League" and "Dillinger"
- Drive-in Theaters
- Mitchell Park toboggan slide
- When Channel 6 and Channel 12 swapped networks
- The Booze Brothers
- Tom Copa
- Billy's Old Mill
- Bermuda's, Park Avenue and Nitro
- The Bucks at the Arena (11,052 attendance)
- Wally Rank
- The Puzzle Box stores at Grand Avenue and Bayshore
- Guardian Angels
- First Wisconsin
- The two fisted slobberer on the old County Stadium scoreboard
- The Colony Shop
- Burger Chef
- The Red Barn
- Captain's Steak Joint
- Naked beer slides at the 'Lanche on Marquette's campus
- Grebe's Bakery at 11th and Wisconsin
- Mad Man Michaels a.k.a. The Czarnina Kid
- Sid Stone
- Heinemann's on Milwaukee Street
- Ald. Bob Anderson
- Lew Alcinder
- Farmer Vic
- WLPX's Rock and Roll Airforce (we still have our pin)
- The talking reindeer at Mayfair Mall during Christmas
- ICEEs at Woolworth's in Brookfield Square
- The Jabberwocky
- Record Riots at State Fair Park
- When you could feed marshmallows to the polar bears at the Zoo
- T.A. Chapman's
- Irv the Working Man's Friend on Mitchell St.
- Merle Harmon's Fan Fair
- Ben Barkin
- WKTI's TailGator
- Potato Brothers Store
- Da Crusher
- The streetcar ride to County Stadium over Miller Valley
- Victor Berger's The Milwaukee Leader (Socialist newspaper)
- Father Groppi
- Blue River Cafe
- When it was illegal to sell margarine and Coors in Wisconsin
- The riots of July 1967
- The "blue flu" in the police department
- Greg Gratz's mole
- Mayor Maier
- Foreman Tom B-Square Ranch Club
- Ione Quinby Griggs' column in the Green Sheet
- Willy Wampum
- The old Boulevard Inn
- Photo nights at Bucks games
Check out everything OnMilwaukee.com has to offer. Click here, http://www.onmilwaukee.com/
The OnMilwaukee.com movie guide is the best in town. Buy movie tickets online at http://www.onmilwaukee.com/movies/
Get in "the in click"! Sign up for the OnMilwaukee.com Weekend Preview. Click here http://www.onmilwaukee.com/lists
The Palace, skating rink on Port Washington Road and Capital Drive. The Fruit Ranch on Fond Du Lac Avenue. Arthur Treacher's ( i want brownie points for these!) =)
On the corner of Jefferson and Wells, you can hear Cathedral bells...at Milwaukee Federal Savings and Loan. Anyone lese remember this radio commercial?
El Capitan said: How about almost nude sunbathe specialist Dick Bacon.
Show me the other 10 Talkbacks
15 comments about this article.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.